We address some of the root causes that put children at risk in Ugandan society, such as domestic violence, family disintegration, financial pressures, and a lack of education and awareness of the rights and the value of children.
We are developing our permanent facilities in Kanyinya where we recently purchased a 6.9 acre plot of land. These facilities are designed to provide a buffer for children at risk, and will be the location of all our operations long-term. The overall design is based on the model we have already established in Rukungiri, and is informed by our proven experience and success in these areas over the past fifteen years.
The Kanyinya multifaceted facility will offer:
- Short-term support to families and children in crisis
- Family strengthening programmes
- Workshops on topics including parenting, money management, business development and safeguarding for caregivers
- Prison ministry for under-fives (including regular visits and gift hampers)
- Wider safeguarding initiatives in partnership with other organisations
- Short-term crisis residential care with the view to the child returning home
- Children’s camps and activities
- Christian fellowship and teaching
The complex will contain a number of buildings for specific uses, and have the facilities needed to deliver our initiatives to the thousands of children and their families every year needing our support.
We have already completed the following stage of development:
- Setting up agricultural endeavours and sustainable-livelihood projects both to increase charity-sustainability, and deliver interventions within the community
Our next priorities are as follows:
- Establishing safe water access to the land for the benefit of Biojemmss and the local community. For further information and to give to this project, please visit here.
- Establishing sanitation and electricity access to the land
In the next stage of development, we would like to:
- Set up our community centre and offices, which will be the base for our community initiatives, as well as hosting community events, and educational workshops
- Establish our residential provision and children's church
- Open a guest house to provide accommodation for those supporting the mission
Long-term, we would also like to build:
- A media and research centre to provide Christian children’s literature, music and resources, and to contribute to a wider academic knowledge base of the issues facing Ugandan children
- A counselling centre for children who have experienced abuse
- Shops on the edge of the land to be rented to local people as a source of organisational income
Biojemmss remains committed to reaching the unreached and operating in areas where there is limited community-support for vulnerable children.