Biojemmss Model: A community-based ministry
We feel called to address some of the root causes that put children at risk in Ugandan society, such as domestic violence, family disintegration, financial pressures, and a lack of education and awareness of the rights and the value of children.
We have successfully raised sufficient funds and purchased a 6.9 acre plot of land where we are developing facilities to provide a buffer for children at risk. The overall design is based on the model we have already established in Rukungiri, and is informed by our proven experience and success in these areas over the past ten years. The final multifaceted facility will offer:
- Short-term crisis residential care with the view to the child returning home
- Short-term support to families and children in crisis
- Family strengthening programmes
- Children’s ministry work and Bible camps in the form of a children's church
- Christian fellowship and teaching
- Prison ministry for under-fives (including regular visits and gift hampers)
- Wider safeguarding initiatives in partnership with other organisations
The large complex will contain a number of buildings for specific uses. In essence, it will be a small village.
In the first stage of development we hope to:
- Set up agricultural endeavours and sustainable-livelihood projects both to increase charity-sustainability, and deliver interventions within the community
- Set up our community centre and offices, which will be the base for our community initiatives, as well as hosting community events, Bible studies, and parenting and marriage courses
- Establish our residential provision and children's church
- Open a guest house to provide accommodation for those supporting the mission
In the second stage of development, we would like to add:
- A media and research centre to provide Christian children’s literature, music and resources, and to contribute to a wider academic knowledge base of the issues facing Ugandan children
- A counselling centre for children who have experienced abuse
- A private retreat for individuals who want to spend time away from Kampala
- Shops on the edge of the land to be rented to local people
These plans involve consolidating and strengthening our existing model of care in Rukungiri; a best practice model that can be replicated in other areas where there is similar need. Biojemmss remains committed to reaching the unreached and operating in areas where there is limited community-support. Our recently purchased lands served some of the most unreached communities in Uganda and is just outside of a location called Marumba.